Makerspace Design Foundations
Limited Space Available in Lehi
Do you enjoy working with your hands and inventing things that didn’t exist before? Now you can unleash your imagination, creativity, and real-life problem-solving skills in our Makerspace Design Foundations course.
A Makerspace is a collaborative setting where students learn to practice the foundational design thinking process and use various production tools to turn their ideas into reality. Some of our students have built their very own candlesticks, necklaces, pens and 3D printed toys. Using design thinking in a Makerspace environment, students ages 10-12 will explore, learn, and apply the principles of engineering design while they build and create really cool projects!
The tools that are used in this course build upon knowledge learned in the Junior Makerspace course and include: laser cutter, 3D printer, drill press, miter saw, lathe, jigsaw, computers and software, sewing machine, soldering iron, and circuits and microcontrollers. (Previous Makerspace experience is not required.)
“Good design thinkers observe. Great design thinkers observe the ordinary. Make it a rule that at least once a day you will stop and think about an ordinary situation.” – Tim Brown, CEO of IDEO
What You’ll Learn & Create
- Understand foundational design thinking methodology and skills
- How to unlock your creative potential
- How to safely use a 3D printer, laser cutter, woodworking tools, and more!
- How to connect science, technology, engineering, art, and math as you learn to create solutions to interesting problems
- Using your imagination, tools, and materials – we can’t wait to see what you will invent!
- View sample projects
- Required $50 materials fee, payable to the lab during online registration and reimbursable from Technology Allowance
- An open and curious mind
- Ability to travel to and from our Makerspace location in Lehi
- Add to Schedule Builder to register. Only an approved schedule in InfoCenter will reserve a spot!
Support From Expert Instructors
I was amazed at the cool projects that my child made. Thank you for offering this course!”Parent
This is one of my favorite classes!”Student, 13