Limited Space Available in Lehi, Provo, and Tooele
Do you dream about creating your own ice cream making robot or owning your own 3D printed skateboard store? Unleash your imagination, creativity, and real-life problem-solving skills in our Makerspace Design course.
A Makerspace is an open and highly collaborative setting where students can make, learn, explore, and share their creations. Some of our students have built their very own board games, key chains, messenger bags and 3D printed masks. Using the design thinking methodology in a Makerspace environment, students ages 14-18 will investigate, learn, and apply the principles of engineering design while they build and create really cool projects!
The tools that are used in this course build upon knowledge learned in the Junior Makerspace and Makerspace Design Foundation courses and include: laser cutter, 3D printer, drill press, miter saw, lathe, jigsaw, computers and software, sewing machine, soldering iron, and circuits and microcontrollers. (Previous Makerspace experience is not required.)
“Design can help to improve our lives in the present. Design thinking can help us chart a path into the future.” – Tim Brown, CEO of IDEO
What You’ll Learn & Create
- How to unlock your creative potential
- Understand design thinking methodology and skills
- How to connect science, technology, engineering, art, and math as you learn to create solutions to interesting problems
- Using your imagination, tools, and materials – we can’t wait to see what you will invent!
- Recommended $50 materials fee, payable to lab
- An open and curious mind
- Ability to travel to and from our Makerspace locations
- Access to Chromebook or laptop
- Note: Only available to non-diploma seeking students
Support From Expert Instructors
My teenage daughter really loved the Makerspace course at Thanksgiving Point this year — it was a wonderful opportunity!”Parent
It was so fun to build my own custom chess set!”Dan, 14