A tuition-free, public school program for students ages 5-18 who live in Utah.
My Tech High – a Program within Public Schools
Since 2009, My Tech High has been building Public / Private Partnerships with innovative, accredited public schools to offer a personalized, tuition-free, distance education program for students ages 5 – 18.
Our program aligns with national best-practices for online learning as well as Stanford University’s researched-based ‘Social Innovation’ model which asserts that Public-Private partnerships are essential for creating high-quality, long-lasting, innovative practices.
All students are full-time, virtual students enrolled in one of these 2 innovative public schools:
- Gateway Preparatory Academy in Cedar City (visit site)
- Provo eSchool in Provo School District (visit site)
All program requirements, details, policies, schedules, courses, testing, student records, credits, IEPs, etc. are subject to the approval of the 2 partner schools.
Once accepted into the program and all enrollment paperwork has been submitted to the school of enrollment, parents work with Utah Certified teachers and scheduling coordinators to define a highly personalized education plan for their child.
Utah Core Curriculum and Utah-Certified Teachers
As required by the Utah State Office of Education (USOE), all students are provided access to school-approved curriculum which maps directly to the Utah Core Curriculum Standards in the four main subject areas and are supported by Utah-certified teachers with proper endorsements:
English / Language Arts
Personalized Education Resources
In addition to unlimited access to Utah Core Curriculum, each student creates a year-long, personalized schedule with 6-7 periods from any combination of different categories of supplemental providers. The teachers and staff of our school-administered program select the appropriate resources based on input received from parents.
Period 1 = Homeroom (All Utah Core Curriculum, discussions, Learning Logs, etc.)
Period 2 = Math
Period 3 = English / Language Arts
Period 4 = Science or Social Studies
Period 6 = Elective or Core (i.e. Tech, Fine Arts, World Language, P.E./Health or another Core)
Period 7 = Another Elective or Core (optional, in place of Technology Allowance)
The 3 categories for personalized, supplemental educational resources* include (see also the FAQ below):
My Tech High Direct: Course is paid for and provided directly by My Tech High.
3rd Party Provider: Tuition (up to $300/course) is paid by parent and reimbursed*.
Custom-built: Learning resources (up to $150/course) are purchased by parent and reimbursed*.
*All reimbursements are provided and managed in compliance with all applicable laws and Board rules.
- All program requirements are subject to change at any time.
- Students are required to participate in all State tests (see additional details).
- Students are required to demonstrate active participation through Weekly Learning Logs.
- All students need their own email address (see videos for help with younger children).
- Students interested in earning an accredited Associate’s Degree may review programs from our partner, New Charter U.
- Schedules for students interested in earning a high school diploma are less flexible (see Diploma FAQ).
- Diploma-seeking students also need to meet regularly with a school counselor to ensure all graduation requirements are met (see list). Secondary Math I, II, III is specifically required for graduation.
- Students may participate in extra-curricular activities at their local district school.
- As part of (not in addition to) their approved schedule, students in grades 9-12 may dual-enroll in up to 2 full-year, onsite classes at their local boundary district school (not charter school).
- Students earn official public school credit for all courses on their approved schedule.
- To maintain program flexibility, all grades are either Pass or Fail (0.0 GPA).
- Calendar follows the standard public school schedule (Aug-May).
- Students are required to have a computer, high-speed internet, and a webcam for which a Technology Allowance* (up to $300/year) is provided (unless replaced with Period 7).
- For Kindergarteners, the program is essentially the same, just with a half-time schedule (i.e. Periods 1-3 and Period 6) and $150/year Technology Allowance*.
- Parents new to the program this year will receive a Course Invitation email to join Parent Link 2015 in Canvas (view instructions here)
*As required by Federal and State Law and Board rules.
Browse the FAQ section below for additional information.
When did the My Tech High program begin?
In Utah, does My Tech High operate as a Public Charter / District School or a Private School?
Neither. We are a personalized education program which operates under a Public / Private Partnership model administered by existing public schools (both district and charter).
Does every student need to take a Tech or Entrepreneurship course?
Yes! Our program is focused on helping students gain valuable skills to be successful in college, career and life. Students with a strong foundation in creativity, innovation, technology and business are poised to change the world for good.
Review all 27 tech courses available for full-time Utah students.
Why don't students in the program earn letter grades?
We believe STRONGLY in personalized education and providing flexible resources to help every student enjoy their learning experience. Letter grades limit flexibility and force children to navigate artificial grade distinctions. We have concluded that this subjective and stressful approach would contradict our goal of inspiring our students to gain a true lifelong love of learning.
Do you ever have face-to-face events?
Yes. Our partner schools schedule monthly field trips as well as a mid-year Student Showcase where students and their families share favorite projects. Showcase nights are some of the most enjoyable moments of the year.
Are students required to participate in State testing?
Yes. Public school students are required to participate in State tests. Also, as required by State Law, a SAGE opt-out form is available. Note that State tests are administered by employees of Provo eSchool or Gateway Preparatory Academy.
Are all the learning materials and technology resources property of the program?
Yes. All materials, curriculum, technology are considered property of the program and must be returned (and all reimbursements repaid) if a student fails to adhere to all program requirements and/or withdraws at any time prior to the end of the school year.
Once my child is accepted, will I receive additional information?
Which providers are considered My Tech High Direct?
- Rosetta Stone Online
- ALEKS Math
- BYU Independent Study
- K12 Virtual (through Provo eSchool)
- CompassLearning Odyssey
- Edgenuity (through Provo eSchool)
- Edmentum – Reading Eggs
- Lynda.com or TeamTreehouse.com or Pluralsight.com
- APEX Learning
- Utah Electronic High School
- Williamsburg Intermediate (see details) and Williamsburg Academy (see details)
- Onsite LEMI – full program (see details)
- Utah Tech Courses hosted in Canvas, including weekly, live “Tech Talks” (see previous catalog or current parents view 2015 catalog)
- Early College Credit options (see details)
- Onsite, dual enrollment with local district school (some restrictions apply)
What are some examples of 3rd Party Providers?
What are some examples of Custom-built resources?
Subject to approval, parents and teachers may want to customize course resources specifically to an individual child’s needs. Common examples include secular textbooks, literature books, Science lab equipment, Math learning manipulatives, workbooks, online subscriptions, 1-1 tutoring, private music lessons, museum memberships, etc.
Can my student earn credit towards a Utah High School Diploma?
Yes – those enrolled in our full-time Utah program are virtual students of a public school. As such, all courses will appear on an official transcript from that school with either a Pass or Fail grade. Students who choose to pursue a diploma will have a less flexible schedule and must meet regularly with the School Counselor (in person or on the phone) to ensure all required credits are earned.
Students pursuing a diploma may only select classes from the following providers: BYU Independent Study, Edgenuity, Electronic High School, My Tech High Catalog, and/or from the list of Early College Credit options.
My Tech High Student Showcase Night
My Tech High Student Testimonials
Message from the Founder
Young Entrepreneurs on KSL